Saturday, February 3, 2007

Cognitive dissonance in action!

A commenter at Ex-Gay Watch left a link to this short YouTube video:


Andrew Sullivan, an openly gay, conservative, Catholic columnist, was at a panel at the Cato Institute discussing his book, The Conservative Soul: How We Lost It, How to Get It Back. The video has an elderly Catholic woman asking him how he can be for same-sex marriage. A partial transcript:
Q: I... if you really studied the Bible, um, it does not say that same-sex marriage is there. At least, I've never found it.
A: Sure doesn't.
Q: It does not.
A: No, and it says I should be executed.
Q: *pause* Well no, I don't go for that.
A: Well why not?
Q: Well, you're a very charming gentleman. No, both of you are.
A: That makes me particularly dangerous, you see. That requires that I be executed more quickly than anybody else. I don't understand people who quote the Bible and then immediately drop it as soon as it is raised back at them.

Quite right, Mr. Sullivan.

No comments: