Saturday, October 21, 2006

Actually, that is a good question.

Bush: I won't change strategy in Iraq.

(Ironically, this was in my inbox together with pretty much the same news article headlined "Bush to consult on changing Iraq tactics." I assume this means he will consult the generals to make it look like he's doing something, then proceed to ignore all the advice they give him and do whatever wants anyways.)
Bush, at a political fundraiser in Washington for the National Republican Senatorial Committee, railed against Democrats who criticize the war. Calling the Democrats the party of "cut and run," Bush said voters need to ask: "Which political party has a strategy for victory in this war on terror?' "

I don't really know, but I'm guessing that it's not the party that started a war with a country that posed no threat to us, which has only created more terrorists. I'm guessing it's not the party that diverted towards that war tens of thousands of troops and billions of dollars that could have been better spent on counter-terrorism efforts. I'm guessing it's not the party that refuses to end that war. I'm guessing it's not the party that initially refused to create a Department of Homeland Security. I'm guessing it's not the party who alienated all our potential allies in the war on terror. I'm guessing it's not the party that outed our own undercover CIA agents in retaliation for pointing out their lies. I'm guessing it's not the party that insists on torturing innocent people in order to extract false information from them. I'm guessing it's not the party that ignores any and all intelligence that doesn't fit their preconceived plans, but blindly accepts even the most ludicrous and contradicted information that does. I'm guessing it's not the party whose insistence on macho swaggering and refusal to negotiate or use diplomacy allowed North Korea to become a nuclear power. I'm guessing it's not the party who believes we need 100,000 more troops--which we don't have--to go into Iraq, but that we don't need a draft, nor the one that believes the path to victory is "support[ing] our troops and do[ing] what is necessary to achieve victory."

No comments: