Saturday, January 21, 2006

Nrrg.

I knew that Orson Scott Card was against gay marriage, but only after reading the story arc in Something Positive trying to reconcile a fan's love of the author's work and his disgust with the author's opinions. I never actually looked at any of the things Card wrote on the issue.

Then he wrote a rambling, idiotic defense of intelligent design, which Professor Myers tore apart. And in the comments, someone linked to an interview with him by Salon.

He apparently doesn't think he's a homophobe ("By the way, I'd really hate it if your piece wound up focusing on the old charge that I'm a homophobe"), but precedes that by vomiting forth this:

I find the comparison between civil rights based on race and supposed new rights being granted for what amounts to deviant behavior to be really kind of ridiculous. There is no comparison. A black as a person does not by being black harm anyone. Gay rights is a collective delusion that's being attempted. And the idea of 'gay marriage' -- it's hard to find a ridiculous enough comparison.


I feel like burning my copies of Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow now....

No comments: