Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Since he doesn't believe in the 1st amendment either, this is even more worrisome

In addition to Huckabee, Brownback and Tancredo (even though he dropped out of the race), it seems that Ron Paul also doesn't believe in evolution. Ed Brayton has a video, but I'll provide a partial transcript here, after being asked -- I think -- about the time at the Republican debate that the candidates were asked whether they believe in evolution and whether it should be taught:
Well, first, I thought it was a very inappropriate question, y'know? For our--for the presidency to be decided on a scientific matter. And I, uh, I think it's a theory--theory of evolution. And I don't accept it. Y'know? As a theory. But I think the creator that I know, uh... y'know, created us, every one of us, created the universe. And the precise time and manner, and, uh, and all.... I-I just don't think we're at a point where anybody has absolute proof on either side.

Well, no. Nobody has "absolute" proof. But then again, that's an completely unreasonable goal, and a standard to which no other field of science is held. So no, we don't have "absolute proof". What we do have is a brobdingnagian amount of evidence, including thousands of fossils, showing time and again gradual changes between species; the similarities in form and genetic make-up that all point to common descent; countless studies and published and peer-reviewed papers; innumerable predictions that would be expected if evolution were true and were later confirmed.

And on the other side? We have a bunch of whining twits who've elevated a millenia-old book of fables to the flawless template from which all knowledge must be stamped, and whose biggest objection to evolution is that they don't understand it.

Gee. I wonder which one we should teach our kids?

No comments: