Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Al's In

Al Franken is running for the Senate.

He has a video on the website, a preliminary campaign speech of his. Here's an excerpt I liked:
Conservatives like to say that people need to pull themselves up by their bootstraps – and that's a great idea. But first, you've got to have the boots. And the government gave my wife's family the boots.

That's what progressives like me believe the government is there for. To provide security for middle-class families like the one I grew up in, and opportunity for working poor families like the one Franni grew up in.

By the way, I stole that boots line from Tim Walz, our great new congressman from Southern Minnesota. Tim's father died when he was a kid, and he and his brother and his mom made it because of Social Security.

No comments: