Wednesday, October 4, 2006

In the wake of the Mark Foley scandal, I've seen some reprehensible comments. I've seen people wave this as "proof" that gays are sexual predators and/or pedophiles (never mind that the page was 16; I hardly think that counts as "pedophilia"); I've seen them say this was a Democratic plot. But I think this takes the cake.

Foley recently checked himself into rehab for alcoholism, and is now claiming that he was molested by a priest when he was 15. Which is tragic, but hardly mitigating. But I find what Bill Donohue, the president of the Catholic League for Religious and Civil Rights, said in response abhorrent:

[W]hy didn't you just smack the clergyman in the face? After all, most 15-year-old teenage boys wouldn't allow themselves to be molested. So why did you?


Such vaunted compassion.

No comments: