Friday, May 5, 2006

The "controversy" in a nutshell

I really meant to post about this back when it first came out, but... well, I didn't.

Back in March, the Courier-Journal published their High School Round Table, which is basically a handful of high school kids sitting around and talking about a specific issue, with a moderator asking questions. The topic for this one was Creation vs. Evolution--an interesting headline given that they discussed mostly "intelligent design" and not creationism. Almost as if there wasn't any difference between the two.

But anyways. I distinctly recall one of the children giving the most painfully honest reasons why this entire debate is raging:

Courtney: I agree, because half of my friends believe in evolution. I don't get evolution so I just believe in intelligent design because that's what I've been taught and that's what I know more about.


That's it. All the evidence for intelligent design can be summed up as "I don't understand evolution, therefore intelligent design must be true!" Sometimes there are minor variations, such as "I don't want to understand evolution, therefore intelligent design must be true!", or "I willfully don't understand evolution, therefore intelligent design must be true!"

It's nice to see someone at least admitting it.

No comments: