Tuesday, November 15, 2005

In my Hebrew class about a week ago, our professor read us a short story. This is my very sketchy memory of it:

Once, an old blind man lived together with his wife in a small hut. They were very poor and childless, and so had little means to support themselves in their old age. So the old man prayed to God for help.

Since the old man never asked God for anything, He decided to grant this man some help, and sent down Elijah the Prophet.

"I have come to grant you one wish," said Elijah.

"One wish!" the old man exclaimed, wracking his brains dizzily. "But we have so many misfortunes, one wish will not do! Can you not grant us more?"

"No. One will have to do."

"There's nothing I can do to change your mind?" the old man wheedled.

"I am not the one who grants the wishes," Elijah reminded the old man.

The old man frowned and shook his head. "One wish... I cannot make this decision alone. May I talk with my wife?"

Elijah smiled. "I can give you one day. But tomorrow night, when I return, you must have your wish prepared."

So Elijah left the old man's house, and the man told his wife what had happened. The two began to discuss what they might wish for, and continued to talk all through the night and day. Until at last Elijah knocked on their door once again.

"Have you decided on your wish?" Elijah asked.

The old man smiled. "I wish to live long enough to see my children eat from golden plates."


A lot smarter with his wish than that twit Aladdin, that's for sure.

No comments: