Sunday, October 14, 2007

Soon as it's done once, suddenly it's everywhere

I wasn't aware of this:
Remember how white students at Jena High placed nooses in a tree last year to communicate antipathy toward their African-American classmates? Now it's happening all over.

A noose is left for a black workman at a construction site in the Chicago area. In Queens, a woman brandishes a noose to threaten her black neighbors. A noose is left on the door of a black professor at Columbia University. And that's just last week. Go back a little further and you have similar incidents at the University of Maryland in College Park, at a police department on Long Island, on a Coast Guard cutter, in a bus maintenance garage in Pittsburgh.

Mark Potok, the director of the Intelligence Project of the Southern Poverty Law Center told USA Today, "For a dozen incidents to come to the public's attention is a lot. I don't generally see noose incidents in a typical month. We might hear about a handful in a year."

Huh. That's pretty horrible.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanx for sharing this post. I began to wonder if we were simply more aware of the noose incidents because the Jena 6 case brought it to our attention ... much like you seem to see your NEW CAR EVERYWHERE after you purchase it (smile).

Anyhow, this is my first time visiting your blog. I like the vibe...

peace, Villager

Skemono said...

I began to wonder if we were simply more aware of the noose incidents because the Jena 6 case brought it to our attention ... much like you seem to see your NEW CAR EVERYWHERE after you purchase it
Yeah, I know, I had been thinking the same thing.

Anyhow, this is my first time visiting your blog. I like the vibe...
Thank you.