Friday, June 8, 2007

Romney on gay marriage

In New Hampshire, Mitt Romney was challenged by a gay woman:
"I am a gay woman and I have children. Your comment that you just made, it sort of invalidates my family," said Cynthia Fish, a mother of a 6- and 8-year-old. "... I wish you could explain to me more, why if we are sending our troops over to fight for liberty and justice for all throughout this country, why not for me? Why not for my family?"

Romney's response?
"Wonderful," Romney said. "I'm delighted that you have a family and you're happy with your family. That's the American way. ... People can live their lives as they choose and children can be a great source of joy, as you know. And I welcome that."

...

"Marriage is an institution which is designed to bring a man and woman together to raise a child and that the ideal setting for society at large is where there is a male and a female are associated with the development and nurturing a child," Romney said.

...

"There are other ways to raise kids that's fine: single moms, grandparents raising kids, gay couples raising kids. That's the American way, to have people have their freedom of choice," he said.

Did you hear that? It's the American Way™! He's supportive!

Oh wait. No, he's saying that the American Way™ is to let children and spouses suffer from the lack of support that government recognition brings because gay relationships are inferior to the "ideal" of a male and female, but please don't let that prevent you from voting for him.

No comments: