Wednesday, November 8, 2006

I'll give you a cauliflower ear!

Democrats have majority in both houses?
– Democrats completed an improbable double-barreled election sweep of Congress on Wednesday, taking control of the Senate with a victory in Virginia as they padded their day-old majority in the House.

Jim Webb's victory over Sen. George Allen in Virginia assured Democrats of 51 seats when the Senate convenes in January. That marked a gain of six in midterm elections in which the war in Iraq and President Bush were major issues.

Earlier, State Sen. Jon Tester triumphed over Republican Sen. Conrad Burns in a long, late count in Montana.

I believe this '51' includes the two Independents of the Senate, one of whom is Lieberman.

I was tickled by Bush's response, though:
"It was a thumping," Bush conceded at the White House. "It's clear the Democrat Party had a good night."

I don't know why, but I like that he used the word 'thumping'.

No comments: